For the third year in a row, Concern Universal and PZ Cussons joined forces with some of Nigeria’s top entertainers to hold Nigeria’s, and probably the world’s, largest celebration of Global Handwashing Day to inspire a generation of children to adopt and pass on the life-saving habit of handwashing with soap.
The campaign launched on 1st October and the celebrations lasted for an entire month – as habits take at least 3 weeks to develop – and featured 3,000 school children at 12 events across Southern Nigeria who were engaged in fun and creative activities that promote the handwashing habit. The campaign reached its climax on Global Handwashing Day itself at a major event in Lagos featuring Campaign Ambassador Sunny Neji, the comedian Koffi and guests from Nigeria’s entertainment industries, where schools competed for fantastic prizes and the chance to perform with their musical heroes. At the events, schools competed to show that they had the ‘CareX Factor’ – the talent competition that enables children to get creative about hand washing by performing their own version of our campaign anthem ‘Wash Your Hands O’. Armed with knowledge and tools about hygiene behaviour change, such as ‘nudge’ stickers, and inspired by songs recorded by the singers, Sunny Neji and 2Face, children were empowered to pass on the life-saving habit to their schools, families and communities.
The campaign impacted millions more Nigerians through jingles and interviews aired on TV and radio stations in 3 States, including Lagos, and hundreds of thousands more worldwide through social media. This campaign complements a five-year initiative that Concern Universal is implementing in Nigeria for the UN’s Global Sanitation Fund that is empowering two million rural people to sustainably improve their sanitation & hygiene practices.
Total Direct Reach: 4,000
• 3,000 School Children participated in 12 Campaign events
• 1,000 adults (400 Teachers, 600 Health Professionals & Leaders – Government, Traditional & Religious leaders, NGOs)
Total Indirect Reach: 100,000
• 90,000 children: 3,000 School Children will influence a further 30 children by holding whole-school assemblies and by influencing their peers and members of their family and community.
• 10,000 children/adults: 1,000 Adults will influence a further 10 children or adults in their families, communities or workplaces.
• Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/United-Purpose-Nigeria-518473178213493/
• YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCkfOo_sqbk5YnBdy9ShIZkw
• The Daily Times (4th October 2016)
• Vanguard (5th October 2016)
• The Guardian (6th October 2016)
• The Nation (7th October 2016)
• Punch (14th October 2016)
• Business Day (2nd October 2016)
• Premium Times (2nd October 2016)
• Nigeria Today (5th October 2016)
• AllAfrica (2nd October 2016)
• National Public Radio (14th October 2016)
• GHD Official Website profiles the Campaign
• GHD Official Website published the Campaign’s Press Release (5th October 2016)
• GHD Official Press Release profiles Campaign and its Press Release (10th October 2016)
• Cool FM – Jingles and Interview with Sunny Neji & organisers
• Wazobia FM – Jingles and Interview with Sunny Neji & organisers
• Niaja FM – Jingles and Interview with Sunny Neji & organisers
• Beat FM – Jingles and Interview with Sunny Neji & organisers
• Ray Power FM – Jingles
• AIT TV – Video slots and TV News feature and Interviews with organisers
Cross River State
• CRBC/Paradise FM – Jingles and Interview with Sunny Neji & organisers
• Hit FM – Jingles and Interview with Sunny Neji
• CRBC TV – Video slots and Interview with Sunny Neji & organisers
• Harvest FM – Jingles and Interview with organisers
Social Media: 350,000 – 500,000
TV & Radio: 6 – 12 million
If you would like to receive regular updates from the Global Handwashing Partnership, please subscribe to our mailing list or follow us online.
© 2017 The Global Handwashing Partnership (GHP).