What We Do
The Global Handwashing Partnership is the world’s preeminent hygiene partnership, focusing on strengthening the hygiene enabling environment and helping handwashing implementers move from knowledge to action.
The Global Handwashing Partnership (GHP) aims to drive forward, develop, and share knowledge that strengthens handwashing implementation, and to build political commitment, and trigger action to promote handwashing at local, national, and international levels, including through advocacy initiatives, such as Global Handwashing Day.
Through activities such as advocacy, sharing knowledge to inspire action, and supporting Global Handwashing Day, the GHP helps implementers, corporations, and governments drive handwashing promotion and behavior change forward in meaningful ways. The GHP also strategically work across sectoral lines to engage those in related sectors, such as sanitation, nutrition, health, and education, both through joint advocacy and integrated programming.
Our work centers around two specific objective areas. We work to:
- Strengthen enabling environments to help foster progress for proper handwashing with soap. This includes advocating for hygiene targets and indicators within policy frameworks and accountability mechanisms; providing feedback to government commitments; strengthening of the broader WASH sector; supporting private sector engagement in hygiene promotion; calling for innovation within the sector; and strategically aligning with key coalitions, such as the Sanitation and Water for All Partnership and the BabyWASH Coalition.
- Identify and promote best practices by providing tools, guidance, and resources to support improved handwashing programming. As governments, organizations, and individual implementers work toward achieving the challenge put forth by SDG 6.2, they must put knowledge about handwashing behavior change into practice. The GHP can help facilitate this through knowledge leadership, capacity building, and fostering key relationships. The GHP will work to maintain a focus on integration with other sectors by engaging WASH-related programs and organizations, such as those focused on sanitation, nutrition, and education.
Under our 2013-2016 Strategic Plan we worked on knowledge leadership and advocacy activities. Examples of our activities and accomplishments under this plan include:
- Connecting practitioners and the general public with the latest in practical, accurate handwashing knowledge, resources, and tools through our think tanks, newsletters, research summaries, and webinars
- Administrating a certificate course in handwashing behavior change
- Driving forward conversations in the handwashing community including on hot topics like integration, habit formation, and innovation
- Founding Global Handwashing Day (October 15), an annual global advocacy day dedicated to increasing awareness and understanding about the importance of handwashing with soap as an easy, effective, and affordable way to prevent diseases. With an annual reach of over one billion people, Global Handwashing Day celebrations around the world are a high-profile opportunity to advocate for handwashing practice and policies. We support Global Handwashing Day celebrants through providing tools, feedback, and coordination. Join us and celebrate Global Handwashing Day this year!
- Advocating for the recognition of hygiene in the Post-2015 Sustainable Development Goals through our engagement with the Joint Monitoring Programme’s Communications and Advocacy Working Group, attendance at key global events, and participation in strategic consultations. To learn more about the importance of hygiene in the Sustainable Development Goals, please download this advocacy toolkit
We leverage partnerships to spur innovation, increase global awareness, share knowledge, increase reach, and improve the overall impact of handwashing promotion and practice.
Examples of how we leverage partnerships include:
- Connecting public and private sector organizations to bring synergies to projects
- Harnessing the voice, resources, reach, expertise and experience of partners for wider impact
Want to read more about our work? Read our 2016 annual report.
We encourage organizations who share our vision of universal handwashing with soap to considering joining us. Stay up-to-date on our latest advocacy and knowledge leadership activities by subscribing to our e-newsletter.