Published: October 23, 2018 / Published by Global Handwashing Partnership & Emory University
This course explores the design, delivery and monitoring and evaluation of handwashing with soap programs, with a view to bringing programs to scale in low- and middle-income countries.
Introduction & target audience
This course is designed by the Center for Global Safe Water at Emory University and the Global Handwashing Partnership. The course is geared towards those interested in promoting handwashing with soap among populations in the Global South, such as handwashing program developers, program implementers, policy makers, funders, teachers, and monitoring and evaluation specialists. Much of the content may also be applicable to high-income settings.
- Understand the current state of knowledge for handwashing with soap
- Identify current approaches to hygiene and handwashing with soap promotion
- Utilize a specific behavioral framework to design a program for handwashing with soap
- Develop a handwashing with soap behavior change strategy
- Know the steps of developing a handwashing with soap program
- Become familiar with the basic tools to monitor and evaluate a handwashing with soap program
Take the course
The course consists of two modules lasting approximately one hour each. You may choose to undertake either or both. After each module there will be an assessment. Participants who receive a score of 80% or above will be awarded a certificate. For full details, please see the Course Curriculum.
Module 1 covers:
- State of knowledge and evidence base for handwashing with soap
- Key times to promote handwashing with soap
- Technologies used for handwashing with soap
- How handwashing with soap is promoted by different stakeholders
- Examples of handwashing with soap programs, including current approaches and behavioral frameworks
Download Module 1 here. Click here if your computer does not support the webinar format, to review the slides, or to download the Module 1 annotated slides.
Click here after you have completed Module 1 to take the assessment and earn a certificate.
Module 2 covers:
- Developing a handwashing with soap behavior change strategy
- Planning a handwashing with soap program from buy-in to concept and execution
- Monitoring and evaluating a handwashing with soap program to ensure program sustainability and learning
Download Module 2 here. If your computer does not support the webinar format or to review the slides download the Module 2 annotated slides.
Download additional readings and resources relating to this course.
Click here after you have completed Module 2 to take the assessment and earn a certificate.
Multimedia Behavior Change English 2016